Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Birth Plan

I thought you all might like to see what my birthing plan looks like before it is set into motion :).  If any soon-to-be mothers are looking to make one I suggest using Pregnancy Today.  It's free and super easy!  Hope you all enjoy...




Birth Plan - Abbigale Elizabeth Billings

Due Date: 04/20/2010
Scheduled to deliver at Carl R. Darnall Medical Center


03/22/2010
To Whom It May Concern:

Thank you in advance for taking care of my family during this very special time in our lives. I have included all of the most valuable parts of my birthing plan below. I have plans to do a natural childbirth, but am aware of what will need to happen in the case of needing pain relief or a C-section and have included information on those below. My husband, Donald Billings, will be my birthing coach. He can answer any additional questions that you have if I am unable to. Again, thank you for your support during such a special moment. We appreciate your care.

Sincerely,
Abbigale Billings


Labor
  • I would like to be free to walk around during labor.
  • I wish to be able to move around and change position at will throughout labor.
  • I would like to be able to have fluids by mouth throughout the first stage of labor.
  • I would prefer to keep the number of vaginal exams to a minimum.
  • I would like to wear contact lenses or glasses at all times when conscious.
  • Other Labor Preference: I would like to use a birth ball if available when the pain gets rough
Monitoring
  • Other Monitoring Preference: I am open to any monitoring necessary to ensure my baby is doing well
Labor Augmentation/Induction
  • If labor is not progressing, I would like to have the amniotic membrane ruptured before other methods are used to augment labor.
  • I would prefer to be allowed to try changing position and other natural methods (walking, nipple stimulation) before Pitocin is administered.
Anesthesia/Pain Medication
  • I realize that many pain medications exist. I'll ask for them if I need them.
  • Other Anesthesia/Pain Medication Preference: If I ask for pain medicine I would like the low dose of epidural first so that I can remain walking. If that doesn't appear to relieve pain then I will ask for the stronger dose.
Cesarean
  • Unless absolutely necessary, I would like to avoid a Cesarean.
  • If a Cesarean delivery is indicated, I would like to be fully informed and to participate in the decision-making process.
  • I would like My Husband present at all times if Connor requires a Cesarean delivery.
  • I wish to have an epidural for anesthesia.
  • If Connor is not in distress, Connor should be given to My Husband immediately after birth.
Episiotomy
  • I would prefer not to have an episiotomy unless absolutely required for Connor's safety.
  • I am hoping to protect the perineum. I am practicing ahead of time by squatting, doing Kegel exercises and perineal massage.
  • I would like a local anesthetic to repair a tear or an episiotomy.
Delivery
  • I would like to be allowed to choose the position in which I give birth, including squatting.
  • I would like My Husband and/or nurses to support me and my legs as necessary during the pushing stage.
  • I would like the chance to touch Connor's head when it crowns.
  • I would like to have Connor placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.
Immediately After Delivery
  • I would like to have My Husband cut the cord.
  • I would like to hold Connor while I deliver the placenta and any tissue repairs are made.
  • I would prefer to hold Connor rather than have (him/her) placed under heat lamps.
Postpartum
  • I would like a private room, if available.
  • I would like Connor with me during the day but in the nursery at night, but brought to me for breastfeeding. (Note: be sure to check the breastfeeding preferences below.)
Breastfeeding
  • I plan to breastfeed Connor and would like to begin nursing very shortly after birth.
  • Unless medically necessary, I do not wish to have any bottles given to Connor (including glucose water or plain water).
  • I do not want Connor to be given a pacifier.
  • I would like to meet with a lactation consultant.
Circumcision
  • I would like Connor to be circumcised before we check out of the hospital.
Photo/Video
  • I would like to take still photographs during labor and the birth.
Other
  • My support person(s) is/are (support people) and I would like them to be present during labor and/or delivery.

No comments:

Post a Comment